Slack is looking for Senior Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.We have backend engineers in almost every team across Slack, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 8 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the developer platform.
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps.
What you will be doing
- You’ll brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers and Frontend Engineers to conceptualize and build new features for our large (and growing!) user base.
- You’ll produce high-quality results by leading or contributing heavily to large cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on the business.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues.
- You’ll mentor other engineers and deeply review code.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you should have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 5+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.