Frontdoor is a company that’s obsessed with taking the hassle out of owning a home. With services powered by people and enabled by technology, it is the parent company of four home service plan brands: American Home Shield, HSA, Landmark, and OneGuard, as well as Candu Home Solutions, an on-demand membership service for home repairs and maintenance, and Streem, a technology company that enables businesses to serve customers through an enhanced augmented reality, computer vision and machine learning platform. Frontdoor serves more than two million customers across the U.S. through a network of more than 16,000 pre-qualified contractor firms that employ over 45,000 technicians. The company’s customizable home service plans help customers protect and maintain their homes from costly and unexpected breakdowns of essential home systems and appliances. With nearly 50 years of experience, the company responds to over four million service requests annually (or one request every eight seconds).
Our Software Engineers are product-focused, giving them the opportunity to work on a product and understand the layers of the software stack. Work includes documentation, automated testing, debugging, working with algorithms and data structures, coding, design, system performance scaling, and problem-solving for routine and basic software programs. Responsibilities also include participation in projects.
- Write documentation and automated tests for code to be written. Implement functionality for automated tests that will successfully pass and meet coding standards. Debug production issues and create subsequent mitigation plans. Optimize the performance of existing implementations.
- Debug issues, recognize the causes of issues and tackle reproducible issues using query language and scripting.
- Select optimal data structures using fundamental software algorithms and concepts of space and time complexity.
- Fix easily reproducible bugs, build new and straightforward features, write unit tests for code coverage, and spot bottlenecks through the ability to read and understand others’ code.
- Implement code based on common design patterns.
- Determine correct algorithms based on input size and frequency using basic concepts of algorithms and Big-O Notation.
- Prioritize tasks with Scrummaster that leads the team to be successful.
- Bring forward ideas to experiment and work in teams to transform ideas into reality.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 0-3 years of product development experience
- Basic understanding of computer science fundamentals, such as data structures, (trees, graphs, hash tables); Basic understanding of functioning and implementation of basic algorithms, such as sorts, searching, and the capability to explain performance characteristics using Big-O Notations.
- Capability to debug basic problems and analyze logs in production systems and to read basic existing code.
- Understanding of various data storage options, such as relational, no-SQL, etc.
- Basic scripting skill in Shell, Python, or Ruby
- Basic skills in languages, such as C, C++, Java, Golang, .net Core
- Knowledge of Requirement Management, Agile Development, Test Process, Code Management, and Deployment • Ability to be on call on a rotating basis for the services owned by the team.
- Experience in developing products in an Agile development environment
- Experience working in a CI/CD environment
- Understanding of Git and development activities such as merge and conflict resolution of code
- Understanding and experience in Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS cloud services